Many families travel far from home and spend several weeks or months to get treatment for their seriously ill or injured children – a long time to be away or to divide a family. And, for children facing a serious medical crisis, nothing seems scarier than not having mom and dad close by for love and support. A Ronald McDonald House is that “home-away-from-home” for families so they can stay close by their hospitalized child at little or no cost.
Our Houses are built on the simple idea that nothing else should matter when a family is focused on the health of their child – not where they can afford to stay, where they will get their next meal or where they will lay their head at night to rest. We believe that when a child is hospitalized the love and support of family is as powerful as the strongest medicine prescribed.
Allow Families to Face the Weight of Illness Together
Families are stronger when they are together, which helps in the healing process. By staying at a Ronald McDonald House, parents also can better communicate with their child’s medical team and keep up with complicated treatment plans when needed. They can also focus on the health of their child, rather than grocery shopping, cleaning or cooking meals.
Allow Children to Get the Best Care
When your child is sick, you want the best care possible – even if it is hundreds or thousands of miles away. The Ronald McDonald House allows families to access specialized medical treatment by providing a place to stay at little or sometimes no cost.
Comforts at the Ronald McDonald House
– Private bedrooms with bathrooms, TVs, cable, and phones
– Home-cooked dinner and breakfast provided daily by volunteers
– Two fully-equipped kitchens with microwaves, refrigerators, and ovens
– Laundry facilities with free washers, dryers and laundry supplies
– Business center with computer and internet access
– Private pumping room for nursing parents
– Calm sanctuary in our Butterfly Garden and outdoor serenity patio
– Play area and playground for children
– Entertainment room with video games and movies
– Common areas to read, relax, and find community
– Various family friendly activities throughout the week
– Free shuttle for families without transportation
For information about staying with us, visit our ‘How To Stay’ page.